IM and Presence Overview
The Cisco AJAX XMPP Library (CAXL) is an API that provides a jump start for developers writing Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP)-enabled web applications.
CAXL is ideal for companies that are looking to leverage the Cisco WebEx Collaboration Cloud and integrate presence and messaging into their own custom web-based applications. With the CAXL, developers can:
- Embed a customer support portal into a company website
- Add instant messaging capabilities to a gaming application
- Add presence information and messaging capability to custom applications
You can use CAXL in both hosted deployments and on-premise deployments.
The IM and Presence (CAXL) tools include the following features:
1-to-1 instant messaging
- Ability to initiate and receive P2P IM
- XHTML-IM rich-text support
Multi-user chat room (including Persistent Chat)
- Ability to create adhoc and persistent chat rooms
- Ability to send and receive chat room invitations
- Ability to search for existing chat rooms
Pub/Sub applications (e.g. for geolocation)
- Personal Eventing Protocol - Ability to create/publish/subscribe to pub/sub service nodes on a server.
User authentication roster presence and roster (contact list) management
- Ability to add/update/remove contacts.
- Ability to move contacts between groups.
- Ability to set device presence.
- When integrated with Cisco Unified Communications Manager IM and Presence Service, SDK can be configured to set CAXL device presence to be the same as presence engine composed presence
Temporary Presence Subscriptions
- Ability to create temporary subscriptions for users who are not on your roster ("Quick Contacts")
- Ability to bulk subscribe/unsubscribe temporary subscriptions. Useful in multi-page applications where each page can have a different list of users.
- jQuery: An open-source library for searching, traversing, and manipulating the browser's Document Object Model (DOM)
- CAXL Core: A high-level API for messaging and presence
- CAXL UI: HTML UI components built on top of the CAXL Core API
CAXL supports the latest version of Chrome, Internet Explorer (8 & 9), Firefox and Safari.
Provide us with your name and email address and we'll keep you updated with Jabber developments.
Learn how to use the Jabber and Core IM APIs